Romeo Paul Reimer


The story of your birth can not merely be written down starting 10 months ago when I got pregnant, because it started long before that. So lets just take a little stroll back in time.

December 2015. I can remember it. I was strolling through superstore and came across a steal of a deal on some super cute stockings for our freshly finished fireplace. Now I had to decide, would I get 5 or would I get 6. Brian and I had conversations previously on having another baby, and knew that it was something we wanted, or well, that we were pretty sure we wanted. So why not, I threw that extra stocking into the cart and went on shopping. Worst case scenario, it would be for our dog right? Because normal people do get stockings for the dog, right?

December 27, 2015. I remember that day. We had just finished all of christmas and all the gatherings and then it dawned on me that I was late, and I panicked. This was not just regular panic this was HOLY CRAP WHAT AM I GOING TO DO IF I AM PREGNANT panic. Brian went out and got a pregnancy test, and sure enough it was positive. I walked into the living room and sat under those stockings and Brian had to walk me off a small cliff, and he was so great about doing that. After those feelings set in, I became excited. The days quickly passed and the morning sickness set in and sooner than I knew it, I had my first doctors appointment with our maternity doctor, who just happens to be the best and goes to our church and has walked me through every single pregnancy. I don't know how I would have done some of the really hard days without him ( and his amazing wife). Anyways, he put the ultrasound on my belly, and instantly I could tell by the look on his face, it was not good.

I walked out of that appointment heartbroken. They told me I could just be further behind, that I had a chance everything was still okay, but in my heart of hearts I knew. This was it. And as it turns out, I was right.

1 out of 4 pregnancies results in a miscarriage, and until then I had never experienced such heartbreak. I ended up with a D and C. We had amazing friends and family who carried us through those dark days. But that experience, it really changed my heart. It made me appreciate our journey, how we had children and healthy children pretty easily and really were blessed. So after I took some time to heal emotionally and physically we decided we would try again, and just a few months later I was pregnant.

We decided to not find out what we were having. I did this for a couple reasons. With Forrest, we found out. I felt like I needed to emotionally process having three boys, because in my head, it wasn't my plan. I had always pictured two boys and one girl and thats how it was supposed to work out right? So we found out. And sure enough he was a boy. ( this is an entirely different topic of having all boys that I will write about later) So when I found out we were having another baby, fresh after loosing a baby, I didn't care to find out. Honestly, it didn't matter anymore. This last baby was just a bonus. The last baby was just the gift we never thought we would have.

My pregnancy with him was purely uneventful, thank goodness. I feel like every other pregnancy had something, and this one was really great. Ok, I take back those words, it wasn't great, I was sick, and tired and all those normal things, but I was not hooked up to a heart monitor in the hospital. So that, to me, is great. I could write entire story on a pregnancy after a miscarriage, but this is about Romeos birth, so I will not let that steal the show.



So on Jan 26th we were to be at the hospital at 10:45am. I had my bags all packed. I had pretty pink sleepers and a couple new sweet little boy outfits ready to go. Brian and I decided to get my mom here around 9:00am and head to the local coffee shop to soak in our last moments before the baby. Its such a strange feeling, to be sitting in a coffee shop, mere hours before your baby is placed in your arms. We literally just sat at the coffee shop staring at each other, knowing that our missing piece, was about to be unveiled to us. Was it a boy? Was it a girl? We were so close to finding out the question that had been on our minds CONSTANTLY for the last 9 months.

We got to the hospital and what was hours, felt like it flew by in a matter of minutes. Sooner than I could believe, I was back in that surgery room about to meet our newest family member. I was so nervous I couldn't stop shaking. I remember the OB sitting directly infant of me, starring in my eyes, talking to me, but I couldn't hear the words. All I could think about was get this baby out of me, I just want this baby in my arms safe and sound.

Then Brian walked into the room and all felt okay. We were here, we were ready for you baby.

If anyone has had a c section, you know it goes fast. All of a sudden I heard our doctor say the words "Are you ready Brian?" and instantly my heart started racing fast.

Then I heard Brian laugh and say "It's a BOY" cued by the oh so sweet sounds of a newborn babies cry.

And then I instantly knew I was right, because I knew it all along. I knew you were a boy.

Then they placed you in my arms, and well.....


IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT.




We spent those 3 hours in recovery falling madly in love with you. Staring at you and deciding what to name you. And then we decided. Romeo. And to me, Romeo, signifies Love, and that love you have for a child, runs deeper than anything you can imagine.

His middle name is Paul. He is named after my dad. Anyone who knows me well, knows I  have always been a daddies girl. I look up to him, I love him. I trust him. We have walked a hard road these last two years. I don't need to get into all the details, but for Brian and I, naming him after my dad was a sign of Redemption. It was a sign of moving forward. Forgiving each others debts. We both made mistakes, we both did or said things that we shouldn't have during those tough years.But my dad had a lot to do with ( with my mom of course) with who I am today. You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one. This name, was to honour you dad, for all you have and continue to do.




Here are a couple snaps of the boys meeting their new baby brother, and they are madly in love.








Romeo, you are the perfect addition to our family. I can't wait to watch you grow and establish your place. Hold on tight, its going to be a wild ride!




Comments

Popular Posts